Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Adventure in Making Bread

Last Saturday after I got home from work I was trying to decide what to do. I looked for some bread to munch on but low and behold I did not find any... so I decided to try and attempt to make some myself. I've seen my mom do it dozens of times so I took a swing at it. I started with getting a whole bunch of ingredients out, mixed them together and then started adding flour like crazy. I called my mom multiple times throughout this whole bread-making process. I don't know if I didn't let it rise long enough or what but I kneaded the bread into loaves and put them in my mom's bread pans that I had to borrow and let them rise even more. I put them in the oven and let them cook until they looked like a nice golden brown color.... haha. After I got them out and started to let them cool they didn't look too pretty. I also tasted a little bit of one of the loaves and it still tasted kind of doughy. I quickly put all the loaves back in the pans and put them back in the oven to try and attempt to finish cooking them. Several minutes later I got them back out. They looked okay but they weren't nearly as pretty as my mom's homemade bread. I'm definitely going to need some major practice on my new bread-making skills!

7 comments:

BA said...

No one makes it like Mom! Or in my experience with cooking...No one blows it like Bryce!

Rob said...

Don't beat yourself up about it, awhile back I tried to make some of my mom's homemade cookies and for some reason I blew it and put in 1 cup of salt instead of 1 tablespoon and needless to say they didn't quite turn out like mom's.

Shannon said...

Making homeade bread is fun. I made some before christmas with out a mixer, just my bare hands. It was thereputic experience. It might not of tasted magnificent, but that bread had some TLC in it for sure, what ever that tastes like.

head chef said...

Alina,

Please share your Reeces recipe!

Taylor_tots said...

Well I sure commend you for trying! I would never have the guts because a small kitchen fire might erupt if I tried. I bet you will get better at it, at least it was edible!

Brittany Perez said...

There is nothing more irritating then when the staples (bread, milk, eggs, etc.) have run out. Nothing. Especially when your roommate ate the last of it...on a fast sunday.

Anonymous said...

How do Moms do it? I mean seriously. When it comes to my mother and mother in law I swear it's as if they are omnipotent in the kitchen. Throw anything together and it always comes out gourmet.